Cats may appear
soft and cuddly, but you must not underestimate them. Feral cats can get agile
and violent with their claws if they feel cornered. When trying to catch a
stray cat, approach it gently. Whether you're trying to catch a pet cat or a
feral cat, take safety measures for both you and the cat.
The primary question while catching a stray cat is how to attract stray cats?
How Do You Attract a Stray Cat?
You do this by feeding the cat for a few days so that it lingers around your area. It is essential to provide the cat in the same place every day. This will improve the chances of the cat taking food from the trap. A few things to note before setting the trap are:
• Set up an appointment with a licensed veterinarian
• Withhold food for a couple of days before the appointment
• Make use of canned cat food to trap the cat instead of buying cat food
• Preferably do not feed the cat milk
When setting up the trap, use the same food you have been feeding the cat. Place the bait in the innermost end of the trap. This ensures that the cat walks right in to reach the food.
Tip: Leave a little food such as cooked chicken at the trap entrance to lure the cat to the bait.
Also, line the wire trap floor with soft material like pillows.
It is easier to trap cats in a confined space such as garages than outdoors. However, some cats do not prefer enclosed spaces. For such cats, use drop traps with a taller opening. It can prove to be more inviting for the cat. Besides this, you can also use a humane box trap to trap the cats.
It is essential to check that the target cat is inside the trap before shutting the trap door.
If catching cats using traps and carriers is unsuccessful, do not do it bare hands. In such a situation, call for animal control that can carry out the job. If you are based in a rural area, call the police to help trap a cat.
catch the cat, place it away from other animals and in a quiet room. After
that, check to ensure that you have not captured a pet cat, a wild animal, or
an already neutered cat.?
What is the Fastest Way to Catch a Stray Cat?
fastest way to catch a stray cat is by using cooked chicken or such smelly food
as bait. Leave it in the trap and some at the entrance of the trap to lure the
cat in. Using food as a way of attracting a stray cat is the surest way to
Tips to Catch a Cat
• Make the cat comfortable with the cat traps.
• Use a larger trap so that the cat does not feel too trapped.
• Use a live trap so that the cat is not harmed.
• If you are wondering what do stray cats like to eat, many cats eat smelly food such as tuna. Use that or jarred baby food as bait.
• Place the food for bait on a paper plate and leave it at the far end of the trap.
• Place the food beyond the trip plate.
• Place the trap in a secluded, quiet place where cats feel safe.
• Use distraction techniques such as a laser pointer to guide the cat to the trap.
• Camouflage the trap with natural elements like leaves and branches but do not cover the trap door closing with it.
• Some cats may know to tiptoe in the trap to not step on the trigger plate. Place a stick in front of it so that the cat is forced to step on the trigger plate.
• Use the water bottle trick. Hold the trap door open with a water bottle with a long string. Tug at the line when the cat enters the trap to shut the trap door opening.
• Use a drop trap, a trap that is bigger in size and is manual. Place it on level ground.
morning and sunset are the best times to trap a cat.
How Do You Catch a Stray Cat without a Trap?
Sometimes it may so happen that you spot a feral cat that needs to be rescued. Since it is not possible to carry a trap at all times, you need to adopt alternative methods of catching the cat. One option is to swiftly grab hold of the cat with bare hands. It is vital to remember that cats get spooked easily. If you let go of the cat, this startled cat can get violent or run away.
option is to use a cat carrier. Place food in it to lure cats in. Once that is
successful, slam the door shut securely.
Should I Try to Catch a Stray Cat? - Word of Caution of Trapping Cats
Setting up traps and eventually trapping cats should be done safely. It should not cause any danger or harm to the cats and you. Here is a list of things you should never do in the process of trapping cats.
• You must not withhold water. It can cause harmful effects to the cat's health.
• Avoid catching cats with bare hands. Their sharp claws and teeth might hurt you.
• Do not use equipment that is not meant for cats while trying to trap them. It could be dangerous for them. If the cat is injured, show it to a local vet immediately.
• Withholding food is a big no!
• Do not
lose patience while attempting to trap cats. It must be done very tactfully.
What to Do with Stray Cats
Before you start the process of trapping a stray cat in your neighborhood, reach out to an animal shelter. Find out if the shelter is a part of the trap-neuter-return (TNR) program. Neutering cats prevents them from further reproducing unwanted kittens and gives them a healthy life. Else, reach out to the local vets to book an appointment before trapping the cat. Plan the trap accordingly so that the cat does not have to be locked in for longer.
animal shelters also help tame feral cats and find their forever homes. However,
feral cats do not make friendly domestic cats. Kittens make the best pet cats.
Trapping feral cats using a humane trap is the kindest thing one can do for them. Most stray cats die for reasons besides old age. From torture by humans to deadly diseases such as feline leukemia, cat flu, and feline peritonitis, several cats die due to this.
If the feral cat does not require immediate
medical attention, you can take time before you trap it. Refer to this guide to
answer all your questions, from how to catch a stray cat to how to attract